Your Guide to Energy Efficient Light Bulbs in 2017
Lighting is very important in our lives as it can affect our moods. Installing beautiful light fixtures to a home adds accent and flavor to a room. You may call our Maryland Electrician Pros to install a light fixture and if so, they can also guide you about light bulbs. If you don´t choose the right kind of bulbs you may be spending more on energy bills and replacing them often.
Let´s consider the more modern light bulbs in our day that can light up your room perfectly, can avoid you from empty pockets and most of all, can contribute to making your home more a positive green one!
LED LIGHTING is the way to go!
LED stands for Light Emitting Diodes. These light bulbs are absolutely energy efficient. Manufacturers have evolved the use of LED lights by joining the single bulb use to making clusters we see in flashlights and headlamps. LED is one directional lighting as incandescent bulbs have light spread spherically. LED is fantastic for underneath cabinet lighting but not for table lamps. However, LED designers have further evolved to solve this limitation by putting diffusers and reflectors to spread the light like an incandescent bulb.
Check out the benefits
- LED lighting lasts longer than your basic incandescent bulbs. It can last up to 10 times longer than compact fluorescents.
- You can save more as LED lighting does not cause heat build-up, which means, less cost on your air conditioning.
- They are strong against any kind of movement that would easily damage your typical incandescent bulb because they are solid.
- No mercury is used to make LED lights
- LED lights only use 2-17 watts of electricity, which is 1/3rd to 1/30th of incandescent bulbs or CFL bulbs. Using LED bulbs in your home´s light fixtures, will save you on electricity, money and will keep your home cool.
- You will get your money back. It may seem expensive to pay for light bulbs but in the end, over time you will get even more back since it will last longer; save you money and you would not be replacing the light bulbs as often if you would have resorted to your typical light bulbs.
What to look for
Every year, there are new styles to choose from as the lighting industry keeps pace with new technology. When you shop for your LED light bulbs, there are a few things to consider.
In hallways that have no natural light flow to spaces where you do, you will have to keep in mind how much brightness you would want. Most commonly, many use wattage to measure bulb illumination; for example a 9W LED would be equivalent to a 45 W incandescent bulb. The more recent method to compare illumination is Lumens, which is perceived brightness. When the lumen is rated higher it means the bulb is brighter.
More efficiently, there are LED lights that are a 3-way bulb. This bulb eliminates your 30, 60 to 75-watt incandescent bulb and consumes 80% less power! Plus, it is omnidirectional, meaning the lighting would be the same like using an incandescent bulb.
- You can choose from warm light which is for accent lighting or cool light, which is for working light.
- You can also choose light bulbs for places you want to have a dimmer.
- Remember when paying cheap you get cheap. Please do not buy cheap bulbs as they will need to be replaced almost immediately because they use low-quality chips.
- Most of all, look for certifications! For example: FCC, Energy Star or UL
- LED lights have different styles to offer for many different functions. They also come in different colors like: red, green, blue, white and amber.
LED- WILL LIGHT UP YOUR LIFE!
There are so many home expenses to think about and many do forget about light bulbs. However, from now on you know light bulbs have a huge factor on your energy expenses. We often forget to turn off the lights when we are done occupying a living space. But remember, electrical lighting contributes to about 25% of the average home energy budget. LED lights are the way to go as it can offer you the same affects as an incandescent light bulb but with more lasting benefits. No doubt it will light up your life!